Preparing for court
- Make sure you know the date and time that you need to be at court.
- Try to look as smart and clean as possible, the court does not like you to wear a baseball cap or have your hands in your pockets.
- Ensure you know your way to court.
- You must make sure you attend court as not doing so is a serious offence.
- If there is a very good reason why you cannot attend – you must let the court know straightaway and they will tell you what to do. For example if you are ill you may have to send in a doctor’s note.
- The court expects your parents / carers to attend and may order them to attend if you turn up on your own.
- If you do not have a solicitor you can ask to see one when you attend court (via legal aid).
- At court you will be asked to plead ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty’ - see the at court page for further information.